Cantaloupe Recall ShopRite Stores NOT Affected
September 15, 2011
Recent news reports have focused attention to a Listeriaoutbreak linked to Rocky Ford Cantaloupe shipped by Jensen Farms. The cantaloupe available in ShopRite stores is not from this supplier. We urge customers to follow these guidelines for safe handling of fresh fruits and vegetables:
- After purchase, store produce that needs refrigeration promptly. Store fresh fruits & vegetables unwashed. Before eating raw or cooking, wash with cool tap water.
- Thick-skinned produce such as potatoes, carrots, cucumbers and melons should be scrubbed with a clean produce brush. Cut away any bruised or damaged areas before eating.
- Fresh produce should be refrigerated within two hours of peeling or cutting. Leftover cut produce should be discarded if left at room temperature for more than two hours. When buying fresh cut produce, be sure it is refrigerated or surrounded by ice.
- Use a cooler with ice or use ice gel packs when transporting or storing perishable food outdoors, including cut fresh fruits & vegetables.
- Wash hands and cutting boards, dishes, utensils and counter tops before preparing fresh produce. Use separate cutting boards for fresh produce, meat, poultry and seafood for food preparation.
- Do not consume ice that has come in contact with fresh produce or other raw products.